Importing a passenger vehicle from outside the European Union

Importing a passenger vehicle from outside the European Union

For a passenger vehicle that was previously registered in a country outside the European Union (EU) or outside the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) you can obtain a Dutch vehicle registration certificate from RDW. However, the vehicle must comply both with the so-called admission requirements and the permanent requirements.

Visit RDW English page for information regarding: admission requirements, technical conditions, APK, inspection and documents.

If the above applies to your vehicle, take the following steps in order to obtain a Dutch vehicle registration certificate:

1-RDW inspection
2-One day vehicle
3-BPM import declaration
4-Number plates
5-Vehicle insurance

  1. RDW-inspection. In order to obtain a vehicle registration certificate you must take the passenger vehicle to an RDW inspection station for an inspection. The RDW can be reached 24 hours a day by e-mail or by post. The Customer Service Department is also available by telephone between 8.00 am and 5.00 pm (Monday – Friday). The number is 0900-07 39 (€ 0.10 p.m.).
  2. One day vehicle registration. For the journey to the inspection station and back you can make use of a one day vehicle registration. Contact the RDW-inspection station. They will send you a one day vehicle registration with a confirmation of the RDW-inspection appointment.
  3. BPM import registration. If you want a Dutch vehicle registration for a vehicle you purchased abroad, you will have to satisfy a number of conditions. One of these is making a declaration for BPM, the private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax. For each vehicle registered in your name in the Netherlands, you must pay tax.

After your vehicle has been inspected, you must take it to a so-called BPM-declaration point at Customs. This declaration point is located at the inspection station. In order to arrange the BPM-declaration during the import, you must take the following with you to the BPM issuing office:

  • your vehicle
  • the BPM-declaration form that you received from the inspection station
  • proof of origin of the vehicle (for example the foreign vehicle registration certificate)
  • if you bought the vehicle outside the EU: the Single Administrative Document (from Customs)

Are you moving to the Netherlands from a country that is not a member of the European Union? In that case your car or motorcycle forms part of your removal goods. You will not usually be required to pay tax on the import of your vehicle or motorcycle.

  1. Number plates manufacturer. After you have paid the BPM, RDW will send you the vehicle registration certificate within 5 days from Veendam. Once you have received the vehicle registration certificate, you must arrange for number plates to be made yourself, at a designated number plate manufacturer.
  2. Vehicle insurance. You can find several insurance companies online or ask our office if you need help.

For inspection you will have to identify yourself at RDW. You can identify with:

  • a legal Dutch drivers license
  • a legal Dutch passport + a recent copy of GBA*
  • a foreign ID-card (from EU/EVA-country) + a recent copy of GBA*
  • a foreign passport + a recent copy of GBA*
    * Copy of GBA must not be older than 3 months.

The costs depend on the age of the vehicle in question, the documents provided and to what extent the vehicle has to be inspected or tested individually.

For more detailed information about importing your vehicle from the EU visit RDW English page.