Personenauto invoeren van buiten de Europese Unie

Importing a car from outside the European Union

For a passenger car that has previously been registered in a country outside the European Union (EU) or outside the European Free Trade Association (EVA), you can obtain a Dutch registration certificate from the RDW. The vehicle must then meet both the so-called admission requirements and the permanent requirements. For more information on admission requirements, technical condition, research and required documents visit www.rdw.nl .

When these criteria are met, take the following steps for entering a passenger car from outside the EU:

1 -RDW inspection
2 -Results one-day registration number
3 -Registration BPM on import
4- request registration plates
5 -To conclude insurance

  1. RDW inspection . To obtain a registration certificate, you offer the passenger car for an inspection at a RDWkeurstation. Contact the RDW customer service. Customer service is available from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm on telephone number 0900 0739 (0.10 per minute).
  2. Request one-day badge . For the trip to the inspection station and back you can use a one-day badge. This registration plate is intended to be driven and returned with the vehicle from and to the inspection station and the BPM declaration point. Contact the inspection station and send the one-day badge with the confirmation of the inspection appointment.
  3. Submit a declaration for BPM on import . You must pay tax for every vehicle that is registered in your name in the Netherlands. After your vehicle has been examined by the RDW, you will then go to a so-called BPM declaration point of the Tax Authorities. This declaration point is located in the RDW inspection station.

To arrange your BPM declaration on import or re-import, take the following to the BPM delivery point:

  • your vehicle
  • the BPM declaration form, which you can download from the website of the tax authorities
  • proof of origin of the vehicle (for example the foreign vehicle registration certificate)
  • if you have purchased the vehicle outside the EU: document called Enig Document (via Customs)

* In a limited number of situations you do not have to pay bpm for a car or motorcycle.
Are you moving to the Netherlands from a country that is not a member of the European Union? Then your passenger car, delivery van or motorcycle is part of your removal property. You usually do not have to pay import taxes for your car or motorcycle. Go to belastingdienst.nl for this purpose: International moving and Customs.

  1. Request registration certificate and plates . If you have paid the BPM to the tax authorities, the RDW will send you the registration certificate from Veendam. This takes 5 to 10 business days. If you have received the registration certificate, you must have your own license plates made at a designated license plate manufacturer.
  2. Take out insurance . Take out a car / motor insurance with an insurance company of your choice.

In the investigation you must identify yourself to the RDW. You can identify yourself with:

  • a valid Dutch driving license
  • a valid Dutch passport + a recent copy (not older than 3 months) of the data from the personal records database of your municipality (GBA).
  • a foreign passport + a recent copy from the GBA Here too, the copy from the GBA may not be older than 3 months!

The costs depend on the age of the offered vehicle, the documents submitted and the extent to which the vehicle must be individually assessed or tested. 

For detailed information about entering your vehicle outside the European Union go to www.rdw.nl .